This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
CalWest’s partner school in the greater San Francisco Bay Area is seeking a Middle School Humanities Guide for a August 7, 2023 start date.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and/or other educational requirements listed on the job description
- Requisite skills commensurate with the position
- A reasonable commuting distance to the CalWest client school, or a willingness to relocate
- Relevant, recent experience
- Authorization to live and work in the United States
- Passionate about “Whole-Self” development as the purpose of adolescent education.
- Dedication, passion, and demonstrated experiencing “guiding” students’ social-emotional and wellbeing development as an advisor, counselor, Dean, or other capacity.
- (Preferred) 10+ years of experience teaching Humanities, Social Sciences, English Language Arts, or related field, preferably to Middle School students.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to personal development and improvement.
More about this role
- A Humanities Guide generally teaches Humanitie Quests (classes) to approximately 40 students in two sections, and holds daily Advisory for their cohort of (10) students on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. On Wednesdays, all Guides facilitate a deeper SEL Advisory circle (Forum), a grade-level meeting of experiential, social-emotional, or social justice programming, and help facilitate our Wednesday afternoon expedition-based Real World Program.
- All Guides attend Morning Meeting.
- Faculty or team meetings are generally after school two days per week.
- The school day is from 8:30-3:30 pm for students. Faculty generally arrive at 8:00 am, and will remain at school until 4:00pm, except on Faculty or team meeting dates, which run until 4:30pm.
- All team members share supervision duties throughout the week (approximately 2.5-3 hours).