This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
CalWest’s client school in the Greater Los Angeles Area is seeking a part-time Performing Arts Technology & Design Teacher to begin August 1, 2023.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and/or other educational requirements listed on the job description
- Requisite skills commensurate with the position
- A reasonable commuting distance to the CalWest client school, or a willingness to relocate
- Relevant, recent experience
- Authorization to live and work in the United States
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Theatre, Technical Theatre, Theatre Design, or a related field of study preferred.
- The ideal candidate should have at least 5-7 years of experience managing an established professional theater/performance space and/or one that is in an academic setting, and multiple years of teaching experience.
- Working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound, and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; stage carpentry and electrical skills; appropriate safety precautions (OSHA & IATSE) and procedures.
- Familiarity with current Theater software programs such as Creston Systems, EOS and ETC Ion family lighting consoles, Qlab, Isadora, as well as Vectorworks, Google Apps and Mac OS X.
- Experience with set design, set construction, lighting design, sound design, AV operation, prop design and costume design.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development in both subject matter and pedagogy.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience coordinating multiple ongoing projects with a clear head and grace under pressure.
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
More about this role
- In collaboration with production Directors and the Production Manager, oversee the design and execution of all technical aspects of all major Arts productions on or off campus.
- In collaboration with the Production Manager, oversee the set up, maintenance, and operation of lighting, sound, and video systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions and projects.
- In collaboration with the Production Manager, oversee load-in or installation of theatrical sets and scenery elements (noting that most set-building takes place offsite); ensure proper execution of working drawings/elevations, cut lists, basic construction methods; have working knowledge of hand tools, power tools, adhesives, foams, etc.